We say apple pie for two but if you make it just for yourself, we’re not here to judge.
This recipe is a scaled down version of a classic apple pie meant for a 6-inch pie dish. It creates one single 6-inch pie, though if you’re like us you’ll double the recipe and make TWO 6-inch pies.
We used the Endurance® Mini Pie Pan to make this small-sized treat. Normally with mini-pies, most recipes will tell you to use a muffin tin. But we wanted a little more when it came to our pie. We just think muffin tins don’t make enough pie. And we like to be extra. Plus this apple pie for two makes it the perfect pie for a special date night at home.
One of our favorite tools for making apple pie is the Apple Slicer Corer Peeler, especially during the holidays. When you have multiple pies to make, this tool comes in so handy when it comes to peeling, coring, and slicing at the same time. You just put the apple on the prongs, turn the handle, and ta da! Your apple is ready for pies.
Mini Apple Pies with Bourbon Salted Caramel Sauce
A classic mini apple pie recipe drizzled with a delicious bourbon salted caramel sauce.
Prep Time 2 hours 30 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Resting Time 30 minutes
For the Crust
- 1-1/4Cup Flour
- 1/2tsp Salt
- 1tsp Sugar
- 3tbsp Butter unsalted, chilled and cubed
- 6tbsp Vegetable shortening chilled
- 1tbsp Ice water
- 1tbsp Vodka
For the Filling
- 1/4Cup Sugar
- 1/4Cup Brown sugar packed
- 1-1/2 tbspFlour
- 1/2tsp Cinnamon
- 1/8tsp Ginger
- 1/8tsp Nutmeg
- 1/8tsp Cardamom
- 2Green apples peeled and thinly sliced
- 1tsp Lemon juice
For the Apple Pie
- 1tbsp Butter unsalted, cubed
- 1Large Egg white
- Demerara sugar for topping
For the Pie Dough
- Mix the flour, salt, and sugar together in a large bowl.
- Add the butter and shortening. Cut the fats into the flour using a pastry blender until they are pea-sized.
- Stir ice water and vodka together. If you don't have vodka on hand, you can omit for this recipe and just use more water. Vodka simply makes a flakier crust. Slowly add 1 tsp at a time, mixing with a spoon as you go, until dough forms large clumps.
- Transfer dough to floured surface and fold the dough into itself until it forms a ball. Divide in half and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least two hours.
For the Filling
- Core, peel, and slice your green apples and place into large bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir until apples are fully coated.
For the Apple Pie
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Roll out dough and line 6-inch pie pan with bottom crust. Trim edges.
- Fill with apple mixture and place butter on top. Brush edges with egg white.
- Roll out the rest of the dough and place over the filling. Trim, seal, and pinch the edges. Create whatever kind of crust border you would like. Cut slits into the top of the crust to provide ventilation.
- Brush with remaining egg white and sprinkle with Demerara sugar.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 20-25 minutes, until crust is golden brown.
- Cool on wire rack. Serve with caramel sauce.
BOURBON SALTED CARAMEL SAUCE
Caramel sauce with sea salt and bourbon for topping.
- 1Cup Sugar
- 3/4Cup Heavy cream
- 4tbsp Butter unsalted
- 1tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/2oz Bourbon
- 1tsp Sea salt
- In a heavy bottom sauce pan, melt the sugar over medium heat and cook until it turns a deep golden amber, stirring the sugar so it doesn't burn.
- Slowly pour in the heavy cream while whisking, being careful of the steam (it will steam!).
- Add butter and whisk until fully combined.
- Turn off the heat. Add remaining ingredients and whisk for one minute.
- Allow to cool slightly before pouring into container. Cool to room temperature before serving.
- Store in refrigerator up to two weeks.